Sunday, January 3, 2010

Preventative maintenance is important


Our first Sunday morning ride for 2010 was in fine conditions although a little cooler than recent days. Tony, Rod and I were joined by a new Sunday morning Rider Mark. Although not having a lot of MTB experience Mark has done plenty of road riding. One thing I can say that Mark has good taste turning up on a GT I Drive 4.

We headed out Old Murrays and took a detour over White Mountain (quartz covered short sharp hill) and then joined up with the extension of the water race track.

It was half way along here that I had cause to remember something the bike shop guy told me. "Remember to check that all the linkages on the suspension are tight". Whoops!

At almost the furthest point from home on this mornings ride I noticed something amiss with my bike. At first I thought it was the bottom bracket playing up as this is next on my list of things to replace but at the next rest stop a bit of an inspection revealed that one of the screws that holds the flex bar in place was missing. After a failed attempt to transplant one of the drink bottle cage screws to the flex bar I decided that was the end of my single track riding for the day. Although my bike was still rideable it takes the enjoyment away when you know something is not right. I left the other guys to continue the real mountain biking and took the flat route home along the water race and then onto the bitumen.

Distance 34.50kms Pedal Time 1 Hr 50 Mins

No comments:

Post a Comment